During summer one face many challenges especially health wise. The climate becomes very dry causing allergies, skin irritation and dehydration. Here, precautions play an active part, especially related to what foods we are eating and drinking. To make sure that skin remains soft and glow, and body remains hydrated eating these 10 foods are highly recommended. These 10 foods will make sure that summer-time becomes a healthy and fun time.
1) Lemon – Lemon is an affordable fruit available easily during summer. Lemon water or lemonade is made using its juice. And yes it is very easy to make. Cut a lemon into three or four pieces and squeeze its juice into a glass of water. Add salt and sugar as per need and lemonade is ready.
Lemon water is rich in Vitamin C and is very good for skin. It retains moisture and gives skin a natural glow. It prevents acne, blemishes, and wrinkles to occur on the skin. It also has some added benefit, if taken empty stomach, weight loss happens, improves digestion and boost the immune system.
2) Watermelon – Watermelon is an amazing fruit containing nutrients, vitamins, and minerals and is called the body healing fruit. Eating watermelon during summer has amazing health benefits. It is 92 percent of water and hence low in fat, it is very hydrating, especially during summer.
Presence of Vitamin A in Watermelon protects eyes and immune system if taken on daily basis. Watermelon has potassium, magnesium and amino acids, which controls high blood pressure by ensuring smooth blood flow. Its Vitamin B6 helps in calming the nerves, essential in a hot atmosphere.
3) Mint – Use of mint increases in summer as it helps to cool the stomach. Mint (Pudina) has relaxant and a refreshing cool feel which is used in various drinks during summer. Stomach related problems increases during this period and here Mint is helpful.
It has antioxidants, phytonutrients, and menthol which help in digestion thereby soothing the stomach almost instantly. A cup of mint tea after a meal is very beneficial.
4) Curd – During summer, curd or food items which have some percentage of curd present in it becomes top-selling food in India.
The Curd has full of nutrition and is light. It helps to keep stomach cool. Curd has calories, saturated fat, sugar and protein, Vitamin D to absorb calcium. Presence of probiotic or good bacteria helps to boost the immune system for better health.
5) Mango (Unripe) – Mango is the king of fruits in India and is highly liked by one and all during summer time. However, raw or unripe mango (Kachi Keri) has its own benefits.
Unripe Mango has Vitamin A, C, and E, and raw nutrients like calcium, phosphorus, and fiber. All are very helpful during summer. Consuming raw mango with black salt helps prevention from the loo, reduces acidity, increases immune system, and reduces the vomiting sensation.
By using raw mango one can prepare ‘Kachi Keri ka sherbet’, a thirst quenching and tasty cooling drink (Sherbet) to ease the summer heat. Not only this drink has the above-mentioned benefits, it also helps to keep the body hydrated.
6) Green Tea – Yes, drinking green tea during summer has its own benefits. In fact, one should drink green tea throughout the year. It reduces the aging effects.
Green tea enhances antioxidant activity thus keeps one active, fresh, and memory sharp. It boosts the immune system to fight diseases. So drink green tea and stay refreshed and energetic this summer.
7) Oranges – Orange is another very good fruit to eat during summer. Oranges contain Vitamin C, useful for healthy skin since it is a very good anti-aging agent.
Since Oranges are juicy fruit, one can prepare juice and store in the freezer to drink later on. Oranges are rich in fiber which keeps heart healthy.
8) Coconut Water – There are many benefits of drinking coconut water in summer. Coconut water has many nutrients which make one feel refreshed while drinking it. It also has minerals like Calcium, Potassium, Zinc, Magnesium, Sodium, etc.
Apart from quenching thirst it also helps to hydrate our body in summer. It also boosts immunity and kills certain harmful organisms in our body.
So during summer if one feels thirsty instead of purchasing caffeinated cold drinks go for the natural drink, coconut water. Even doctors suggest coconut water to patients because it is a natural healthy alternative to many other artificial drinks.
9) Cucumber – It is beneficial in summer since it’s made up to 95% water thus helpful in hydration. This also makes cucumber naturally low in calories, fat, and cholesterol. An essential part of salads, no one refuses it because of its crunchy and refreshing taste.
Cucumber is full of nutrients like Vitamin K, Vitamin C, Magnesium, Riboflavin, B-6, Folate, Calcium, Iron, Phosphorus, Zinc, Silica, etc. Thus it reduces acidity, energizes the body and helps the skin to stay hydrated.
Cucumber also reduces dark circles around eyes, swelling under eyes and sunburn. It also prevents hair fall usually happens during summer because of excessive sweating.
10) Pomegranate – It is a red seedy fruit is chewed or whose juice is made. Delicious in taste it is found in all seasons. Pomegranate contains punicic acid, ellagic acid, antioxidant, and omega 5 which are helpful to the skin.
Its juice is useful in diarrhea, a common problem in summer. It increases the good cholesterol level in blood and iron also increases body immune system. Apart from knowing what to eat and drink, one should wear light-colored cotton clothes and cap, cover face with a cotton scarf, goggle, and carry and drink a lot of water.